Thursday, December 14, 2017

Chapter 22: No More Solitude


Release date: February 2001

Word count: 10,566


Thoughts: Time for the Spring Carnival! I've always adored the fact that these school events are never forgotten and are weaved beautifully in the storyline. Thanks to fanart, I remembered that Takashi and Chiharu were clowns and Meilin was an acrobat, but I forgot that Sakura was an acrobat too and both Syaoran and Eron were magicians.

It's the White Day special in this chapter. I don't recall this occasion being celebrated again in the rest of the series. Now, it just wouldn't be New Trials without the misunderstanding of Sakura finding a picture of Syaoran giving Erika roses (what guy gets another guy to deliver his flowers anyway?) and Syaoran seeing Eron giving Sakura a gift.

I remember Touya and Fujitaka leaving, but I forgot that Wish-chan wrote Kero-chan out of the picture by making him go to London to research with Yue and Kaho.

“I’ve finally come to a conclusion,” Meirin stated firmly. “Syaoran has a split personality. That must be it.”, may be one of my favorite Meilin quotes.

This is the chapter where we learn that Nadeshiko was the lead in a school play. It's great to see Star-Cross coming full circle in NT. Speaking of parents, we also get the first mention of Tomoyo's father and the rocky road that discourages Sakura from asking to stay with the Daidoujis.

It's sad to see the internal conflict that Syaoran undergoes when he tries to separate being there for Sakura and then keeping her at arms lengths to not stir up any of those "silly childhood memories". 

At this point in the chapter, Sakura has been staying on her own for a while so this is probably where the Pink Ribbon Trees birthday special takes place. The fun part about the re-read is that I can read the midway through chapters in chronological order. 

Sakura sums up the fact that for the Great Five, the Amamiya, Li, Reed and Dark Ones lines are all accounted for. Nice set up for our favourite thief even if we didn't connect the dots. 

The Joker is such an jerk Dark Force. 

The Kaitou Magician makes his debut in this chapter! The gang sees him long enough to notice that he has the sapphire ring.

After that dreadful run in at home with The Joker, it's time to enjoy Sakura and Syaoran living together! I love how this is the first instance of their telepathy.

Fanart spotlight: I told myself that I would not take the easy way out and use a Sakura Card in this section, but this is The Joker (by Asumei) in its real form so I say it's fair game. 

2 comments:

  1. I was so happy when I got to this chapter. I love love love Kai and to finally see him was amazing. I found it funny that Eron, Aki and Syaoran were magicians. Kai would cry at their tricks. He'd probably say something like, "Leave this to the professional."
    And I have to agree with you. That was one of Meilin's best lines.

    When Sakura thinks about the 4 families from the G5 it really is a great way to set up for KM. I think, now, rereading the story, having the Mizukis be last ones to show prove that they are the key (more like Kai has always known what was going on like when he gave her the Treasures to seal the Plague).
    It's funny to think that the first time I read NT I thought Kaitou Magician was a Dark Force.

    Best scene before Kaitou Magician finally appears:
    Soon, all the girls ever talked about was “Kaitou Magician,” who had been causing ruckus in Tokyo recently, and was headline news.

    “All this fuss over a thief?” Syaoran asked in disbelief as Meirin clasped her hands romantically.

    “He’s handsome and mysterious!” Meirin retorted.

    “Have you ever seen him?”

    “No. But look at his picture in the newspaper!” A black silhouette of the back of a young man, with a cape flowing from his back was captured in a blur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kai caught us all by surprise and that includes Wish-chan. He definitely brings a sharper edge to the canon shoujo manga characters coming from the streets and all. There seems to be so much more to unlock about the Mizuki family. My biggest question is if Leiyun has some mysterious Mizuki in his back pocket all along.

      Delete