Saturday, January 20, 2018

Chapter 30: The Lone Thief of the Night


Release date: May 4th, 2001 

Word count: 13,278


Thoughts: I honestly thought that the bullet wound that Kaitou gets shot with in this chapter stayed with him for a disturbingly long period of time because I know that he has a big operation later on in the series. But he gets treated by the end of this chapter.

Plot hole! Eriol is wearing glasses again even though in the NYC arc he told Sakura that he had laser eye surgery. That's fine because in all of the fanart, Eriol is wearing glasses.

I enjoyed the little window we got to see how everyone in England was holding up.

School's out for the summer! Their last day was in this chapter and not a moment too soon. Seeing S&S's friends grilling them about the suspicious amount of time they were spending together was hilarious.

I don't know why Sakura answers the phone when she doesn't want people to know that she was staying with Syaoran. At least it was Meilin who called this time and not Erika.

If Kaitou went anywhere other than Syaoran's appartment, then he would have been caught for sure. I forgot that Sakura used The Heal on him, which probably explains why he was able to run around with the bullet for as long as he does.

This chapter introduces the locket! He isn't able to part with it, bur because of the tracker it's more of a thorn in Kaitou's side more than anything.

Kaitou thinks back to his experiences that he ranked worst that being shot (falling off 100 foot building, crashing through unbreakable glass, and beaten black and blue with an iron rod) and I wonder if any of those will make the Kaitou Magician Origins story.

The new Sony discman and Motorola handphone that Kaitou tries to steal from Syaoran delightfully dates this chapter back to the early 2000s.

Sakura randomly runs into Eron and school and he looms over her as if he was going to kiss her. But he claimed he was smelling her perfume. Who knew The Sniffing Chronicles was a thing before Kirei-chan's spin-off fic?

Heh heh heh… Kaitou teases Syaoran about worrying over Sakura when she took too long to return. And so begins the saga of Kai pushing our Little Wolf's buttons!

For those of you who forgot like I did, this is the chapter where Eron and Erika break The Phantom's seal from the basement.

The Unicorn is used for the first time as a mode of transport for our heroes who are on their way to Tokyo. Talk about a handy card!

Quote of the chapter: “Even if I wasn’t the Chosen One, and even if I wasn’t sent to Japan. Even if I was a thief, I think,” he paused. […] “I think,” Syaoran continued. “No. I know I would still have found you, eventually.”

In the hospital, we learn that Kai stole Shing's medal that he got for his exhibition. A connection that means nothing now but is pretty huge later on.

Fanart spotlight: Here we have one of Selenity's first digital pieces! Kai Visiting Meilin was uploaded in the NT Yahoo Ring and easily dates back to the early 2000s and I think it's her first fanart based on a specific scene even if that moment was "off camera". I can never have enough amazing things to say about my oldest online friend, and I'm thrilled that this blog is serving as a great example of how artists improve over time. 

2 comments:

  1. After neglecting NT for so long I am back. I feel so guilty for putting my rereading in hiatus! I have read your newer posts but I never comment *hides under a rock* I would love to blame my lack of participation on all the responsibilities and drama but one of my favorite shows ever came back early this year (after being cancelled 6 years ago) and I joined the hype train. And then it went on a midseason hiatus! Honestly :/
    Enough rambling Diana!

    Here are my notes!

    I always found it hilarious that Sakura would answer the phone but doesn't want people to know the truth! Then again, I think the only people that would call Syaoran are Meilin and his mother.

    Something I noted at the beginning of the chapter was that Nakuru asked Eriol about his grave expression and I wondered whether he had seen what happened to Kai. I did love that Miho called Eriol dude though. Only she can get away with it.

    Knowing the information we know about Kai from Arc 4 and KM Origins, him getting shot makes things even more tense - for him everything is on the line and it's a matter of life or death. Like, you can't help but get upset at him like Meilin does but because he is such a beloved character you worry about him. (Is Meilin the reader insert? lol)
    I squealed when the locket was mentioned! Idk how far back Wish-chan had thought of everything or how much she just started connecting as the years went by, but the amount of times the locket's ruby was mentioned and its "possible" connection to the ruby earrings made me geek too much.

    I loved your comment on The Sniffling Chronicles. Who knew it was this early in the series?

    In Wish-Chan's notes, she mentions that Sakura saw how Kaitou Magician was shot by the police through the Mirror of Truth. I wonder which one she saw...

    Last comment: the quote you chose, I loved that part. It's just so much like Syaoran and it's pretty much their relationship (both in NT and in the CLAMP universe).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diana!! Thanks so much for stopping by with your wonderful comments. I love the fact that we're reading this together. Take as many hiatuses as you want! I know that I took a couple of breaks and my second huge break was during the time Wish-chan was posting consistently. It's always know that New Trials is always there for us. I'm so happy for your favourite show! One of my favourite shows got canceled a couple of years ago after being on the air since 2001 (it was a re-boot of the original 80s series). Just today news broke that its set has been officially sold, marking an end of an era. So enjoy every minute of your show's return! It's all thanks to the fans. Which is why Kai got to be so popular! Wish-chan said his role was going to be a lot smaller but I just can't see the story playing out without him as the Tanaka son and Mizuki descendent. Not to mention Meilin's one true love, which caught Wish-chan by surprise. So even though Wish-chan didn't intend on making Meilin the reader insert, I'm totally on board with that!

      Thanks again for sharing your thoughts! It's always great to know that people are checking out my blog.

      Delete